July 23, 2014

DIY Dishwasher Detergent

The switch to making my own laundry and dishwasher detergent was to stay on a budget. I've been making my own detergent for years now and I have no plans on switching back.  



The first batch of dishwasher detergent I made, I molded the mixture into tabs. However, I wanted to make larger batches and the molds took too much time to dry. I like the powder form better: there's no waste and I can make some to store.  I used a recycled glass jar to hold the detergent. I found a great recipe for dishwasher detergent from The Coupon Wizards on Pinterest. I use about 2 tbsp of detergent and fill up the rinse compartment with distilled white vinegar. 

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c Borax
  • 1/2 c Washing Soda
  • 1/2 c Epson Salts
  • 2 tsp Lemon Juice
  • 1 tbsp Baking Soda
  • 1 tbsp Citric Acid
  • 1 tbsp Vinegar 

1. Put 1/2 cup each of borax, washing soda, and Epson salts into a mixing bowl. Mix dry ingredients together making sure to get rid of any clumps. I mixed the ingredients by hand (the author suggests you use gloves or a whisk).
2. Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to mixture. Mix juice into dry mixture making sure again to get rid of any clumps.
3. Add 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and citric acid. Mix again until it turns into a fine powder.
4. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar to mixture. Make sure to mix ingredients as you add the vinegar to prevent mixture from fizzing too much. You want to add the vinegar one tablespoon at a time until you get it to where you can squeeze the mixture and it will stay clumped together. Make sure you do not overly wet the mixture.
5. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet lined with foil and left it out on the counter to dry. 
*If you want to mold the mixture: Place mixture into your mold and let sit over night to dry. Try not to overfill mold and make sure that the mold you are using will make a tab that will fit in your dishwasher tab compartment. Try a silicone mold or ice cube tray for easy removal. Once tabs are fully hardened, place them in an air tight container until ready to use. I purchased my mold at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment