July 27, 2014

Sunday Morning


It's a lovely morning in South Austin. It was a comfortable 71 degrees as I awoke to songs of birds and the humming of the fan. I have officially declared Sunday as Preparation Day. As I embark on my new career as a teacher (after years of school and job searching), I will attempt to be way more organized. 

In preparation for Preparation Day, I also decided to try a new breakfast item each Sunday morning (I need strength to get me through my busy day). I am fan of grits, most of the time I prefer savory grits to sweet grits. With that being said, the first new breakfast item I made was Honey Nut Breakfast Grits from Teaspoon of Spice. It was incredibly sweet. I loved the texture of the grits and the toasted almonds.  

I'd give this recipe a thumbs up if you like a really sweet breakfast...


Honey Nut Breakfast Grits
Ingredients
  • 2 cups fat-free milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup stone ground grits
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup almond slivers, toasted
  • 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
  • 4 teaspoons honey
Directions
  1. In a large pot, add milk, water, grits and salt; bring to a boil. Mix in 2 tablespoons honey and butter; reduce to a simmer and cook about 20 minutes or until grits thicken.
  2. While grits are cooking, toast almonds in a frying pan over medium heat, stirring often, for about 8 - 10 minutes or until they are slightly browned.
  3. Remove grits from heat and mix in almond extract. Ladle into four bowls; topping each with 1 tablespoon of toasted almonds and 1 teaspoon honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment