August 10, 2014

Sunday Morning

It's the morning before school starts. I am nervous and excited! I've got a long list of things to do: color hair, make dishwasher soap, wash clothes for work, organize supplies for my classroom, and light house cleaning. 

I woke up this morning, tired. While Josh was content with circle tater tots and homemade queso (beef, refried beans, black beans, black olives, jalapenos, red onion along with various cheeses), I craved a more traditional breakfast: eggs, sausage, and circle tater tots.


The sausages are homemade; I make them ahead of time and freeze for later. I've tried a lot of recipes, I like Martha Stewart's simple recipe the best.


Simple Homemade Sausage Patties

Ingredients

1 lb ground pork
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp dried sage, crumbled
3/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried fennel, crushed
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg white
Vegetable spray (I use olive oil spray)


Directions

1. Mix together the pork, garlic, sage, thyme, fennel, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the egg white and combine thoroughly. Cover and chill for at least 15 minutes.

2. Divide the mixture into eighths and shape each portion into a 2 1/2-inch disk. Patties can be made to this point and refrigerated or frozen until ready to use. 

3. Heat a skillet over high heat, and spray with olive oil. Fry the sausages on both sides until completely cooked through and golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Drain and serve immediately. Sausage patties can be fully cooled, wrapped, and frozen for microwave reheating.

Now I'm off to work on my long "to-do" list! 

No comments:

Post a Comment