November 24, 2014

New York Cheesecake Cookies

I enjoy the weekend immensely: baking, cooking, and blogging. I'm learning to leave work AT WORK. I must admit I'm nicer at home and I've noticed work isn't as stressful. Without grading papers, reading letters, and preparing for the week, I'm able to spend more time researching topics for the blog. I came across a cheesecake cookie recipe on Pinterest and because I'm a fan of cheesecake I decided to give it a try.

I gathered up all the ingredients and began baking. The house smelled heavenly! I followed the instructions, word for word (as usual) and was surprised when my cookies looked very different from those on the website's photos.


Do you see the difference? The cookies on the website look nothing like what I pulled out of the oven (I later discovered the photo on the website was for another recipe, a simple mistake...I suppose).


I tried one cookie and decided not to trash the ingredients; instead I tweaked the recipe a bit. The recipe calls for 2 tbsp of the dough to be rolled into a ball and slightly flatten before making an indention in the middle of the dough. I changed the dough ball to 1 tbsp and flattened the ball to about 1/4" thin. I spooned about 2 tsp into the indention. The cookies turned out much better (more cheesecake filling, less graham cracker crust).


 What almost was an epic fail turned out to be a delicious cheesecake cookie...

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 c finely crushed graham crackers (I crushed mine in the food processor)
  • 1 c flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
  • 8 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1 egg, separated
  • 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 c sugar
  • 2 tsp lemon zest
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a bowl, mix together the crushed graham crackers, flour, and baking powder. In a mixer, beat together the butter and brown sugar. Add egg white and beat until well combined. Add in the graham cracker mixture and blend until  just combined.

3. In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg yolk, sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla until well combined. Set aside.

4. Using a 1 tbsp measuring spoon, scoop out the dough and place on a baking sheet lined with a baking mat. Flatten the dough and make an indention in the dough with the back of the tbsp, creating a bowl shape. Repeat with the remaining dough. Spoon cream cheese mixture into the indents in the dough.

5. Bake until the filling is barely set and the cookies are lightly golden, 12 minutes. Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling rack to cool completely.


ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment