December 22, 2014

DIY: Holiday Gifts

I have always made gifts for my family and friends for the holidays because I was on a tight budget. I made quilts, stuffed toys, clothes, and a variety of DIY projects. Sometimes I'd mix up homemade goods with inexpensive items. When my daughters were younger, I'd make a crayon holder then pack it with crayons, markers, or colored pencils along with a pad of paper, paints. etc. This year is no exception. I decided to make button art, DIY candles, DIY mugs, and a few kits.


My first project: A set of cute flower inspired button art pieces in thrift store frames.




Here's what you'll need:

Glue
Decoupage Glue
Old, torn books
Buttons & Glass Beads (lots of them, to choose from)
A ruler (if you want the design to be in the middle of the frame)
Paintbrush
Foam Core Board
Brown Packing Paper
Frame(s)
Razor Blade
Sawtooth Hanger

Start with tearing the old books into pieces and decoupage onto the foam core board. While the decoupage glue dries, work on the layout of the design.

Once the decoupage glue is completely dry, glue the bead design onto the decoupaged foam core board using Clear Elmer's School Glue.

Let the bead design dry overnight. Once dry, glue the matting onto the foam core board and let dry. I used clips the secure the matting.

When everything is dry, assemble the frame and you have a pretty gift for yourself or a friend.

Don't forget to finish the back of the frame to give it a professional look. I used brown packing paper and more of the Elmer's glue. Lightly brush the glue on the back of the frame and place it on a piece of the brown paper cut about two inches larger than the frame. Once completely dry (leave overnight), use a razor blade to trim the brown paper down to size. Then add a sawtooth picture hanger to the back.




No comments:

Post a Comment