December 1, 2014

Weekend Baking: Cranberry Blueberry Crumb Muffins


 I always forget to jot down the amount of something I need on the weekly shopping list. For example, while shopping for Thanksgiving cranberries were on the list however I didn't include how many bags of cranberries I needed. I went on the safe side and bought two bags. When I got home, Josh looked at me, knowingly, and smiled, holding up one bag. 

I am notorious for wasting food. I have good intentions, but when I get home from work, I am exhausted. As a result, the mold enjoys another day in the back of the frig. So, I decided to make a tasty breakfast treat for visiting family. I came across a recipe calling for cranberries and blueberries from Oh Sweet Day on Pinterest. 

These muffins are FANTASTIC. 

Ingredients


Muffin
2 c & and 1 tbsp flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c butter, softened
3/4 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 c milk
1 c blueberry
1 c cranberry

Crumb Topping
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c butter, softened*
1/3 c flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Grease muffin tin or line with muffin liners.
2. To prepare muffins, in a large bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and add egg, mix until just blended.

4. With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture, mix until just blended. Add the milk, mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.

5. Toss the berries with 1 tablespoon flour. Gently fold into the batter.

6. Divide the batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Set aside.

7. In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients with a fork until it is crumbly. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of topping on top of each muffin.

8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown on top.
*I will not soften the butter next time I make these muffins. The muffin tops did not have a crumbly strudel 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment