January 2, 2015

Banana (Nut) Orange Bread

I bought a bundle of bananas for breakfast during the week (the English teacher in me can't resist: this is a fantastic example of alliteration!).  Most of the time the banana bundle sits on my counter and deteriorates because I don't have time to eat in the morning. 

I've always collected recipes. Before the Internet, I subscribed to many cooking magazines. I'd cut out my favorite recipes and put them in a sheet protector in binders labeled 'dinner,' 'breakfast,' etc. When I started an account on Pinterest, I decided to upload the recipes. However that didn't turn out well. In the end I searched for the recipes online,then pinned them to the proper board. There's a lot less clutter in my house!

I've made this recipe for years (the original recipe was featured in Cooking Light Magazine 2003). It's fantastic on a cold, winter morning. I plan on making french toast with left the over bread tomorrow to start our busy Saturday morning!



Ingredients


2 c all-purpose flour 
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt 
1 c sugar 
1/4 c butter, softened 
2 large eggs 
1 1/2 c mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1 1/2 tbsp grated orange rind 
3 tbsp fresh orange juice 
1/3 c chopped walnuts or pecans
Cooking spray 

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.

3. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, rind, and juice; beat until blended.

4. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Stir in nuts; spoon batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.

5. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan.

6. Cool completely on wire rack.

3 comments:

  1. Pinterest is definitely a space saver! I still have my magazines and books for recipes-now I just need to cook them, lol.

    ReplyDelete