March 18, 2015

Spring Break: Day Three


I woke up this morning to a soft rain around 7 am. Joshua was already downstairs drinking his coffee and making plans for the third day of Spring Break. By the time we were dressed and ready to go, the clouds had cleared. The sun was shinning and there was a cool breeze. I threw on a new sweatshirt, jeans, and Converse. The sweatshirt was a mistake, I should've layered!

We headed North to the Harry Ransom Center at UT to view the Alice in Wonderland Exhibit and the Frida Kahlo on display. When we walked into the gallery, I immediately saw Frida Kahlo's Self-portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird (1940) on my right. I was tempted to take a photo of it, however I didn't. Guests are not allowed to take photos of the painting due to copyright laws. The Mexican government owns the painting. 

There were two wonderful surprises at the gallery: The Gutenberg Bible (I read a few lines!) and the earliest known surviving photograph.




This is not a photograph of the original at HRC


Alice in Wonderland artwork over the years

Maggie Taylor's artwork inspired by Alice in Wonderland






Alice in Wonderland covers from around the world. So beautiful and unique!


















After the gallery, we headed back to South Austin and had lunch outside at pho thai son.





No comments:

Post a Comment