April 11, 2015

Toilet Paper/Paper Towel Roll Roses


I have bags and boxes of toilet paper/paper towel rolls all over the house. I've collected rolls for about five years, waiting for an idea to come along. I love flowers, but I can never bring myself to buy them as decoration for the house. I don't like fabric flowers, so I had to come up with something: paper flowers.

I've made a couple of roses, once without a skewer stem and a couple with. I am experimenting painting the roses. Practice makes perfect.

Here's what you'll need:

Toilet Paper Rolls/Paper Towel Rolls
Scissors
Pencil
Paper
Hot Glue Gun
Skewers (optional)

Instructions

1. If you use paper towel rolls, use a toilet paper roll as a guide for cutting the rolls into sections. A paper towel roll will give you three sections. I saved the left over smaller section for another project.

2. Flatten rolls and cut lengthwise. I thought I would have to put the cut rolls under heavy books, however simply working with the paper makes it pliable and easy to flatten.


3. Make a pattern. I went on Google and found a pattern I wanted and traced it onto a paper. Just be careful not to push too hard with the pencil on the computer screen.


This is the pattern I used...


4. Trace the paper onto the flatten roll. For one rose, you'll need to cut 5 petals.



5. Cut the petals as shown in the photo below.


6. Curl each end with a pencil.




7. Glue the edges together for each petal as shown below.



To assemble:

1. Glue and insert the one petal into the two petal and so on.








If you want to use a skewer as a stem, follow the directions above with the addition of cutting straight across the bottom of the glued petal and slide the petal to the top of the skewer and secure with glue.




No comments:

Post a Comment