May 29, 2015

Countdown...Day 5

Day 5: I am giving my students a final test on Monday over the novel we've been reading in class. Actually, it's Part I of The Hunger Games because we didn't finish the novel. I decided I'd let them use their journals and books. The only problem is most of the kids haven't done all the assignments. Today I pulled out my projector and went over everything. The review went well in first period. Then the rest of the day tanked. No one was listening. I was talking (loudly) over many students. After about 45 minutes, I turned off the projector and had the students read quietly until lunch. I was extremely frustrated until a wonderful co-worker reminded me that they're scared...a monumental change is coming. So, I have several good things that happened today: 1. I realized I need to talk to my kids about their fears 2. A group of students staying after school to work on essays for the Travis Duel Credit Program told me I am the best teacher ever! 3. I am enrolled in an awesome two week writing workshop. This weekend I'm going to recharge in order to enjoy these wonderful young people before they move on to the next chapter in their lives. 



No comments:

Post a Comment