May 12, 2015

Savory Bread

My 8th graders and I are reading The Hunger Games. The subject of bread comes up quite often. Bread is symbolized throughout the novel: survival, kindness, and friendship. One of the main characters, Peeta, might be linked to bread...think "pita bread" and Peeta's parents are bakers. The name for Collins' dystopian world, Panem, comes from the Latin phrase "Panem et Circenses" which literally translate to "bread and circuses." This term refers to the techniques used by the Roman Empire to keep the masses happy and docile. So, bread's been on the brain lately...

Tonight I sat down and made a quick list of bread I want to bake over the weekend. There's nothing like a warm slice of bread after a busy day! Josh made a loaf of French bread this evening and I've already eaten three slices (there goes my diet). 

Here are the contenders...

Cheddar Jalapeno Sourdough Bread

Olive and Rosemary Bread

Caramelized Onion & Spinach Olive Oil Quick Bread

Jalapeno Cream Cheese Crescent Rolls


Happy Baking! And may the odds be ever in your favor!

No comments:

Post a Comment