June 14, 2015

Glazed Lemon Blueberry Scones



I bought blueberries about a week ago. I was looking for a quick breakfast. I began to make a parfait with vanilla greek yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, and granola only to find mushy blueberries. I didn't want to throw out the blueberries so I went to my Pinterest breakfast board and found this recipe from thelovenerds.com
  

Ingredients

2 c flour
1/4 c sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
6 tbsp butter
½ c milk (I use lowfat)
¼ c fresh lemon juice (I had one lemon so I used 8 packets of true lemon & 1/4 c water)
2 tbsp fresh lemon zest (I used 2 tsp of dried lemon zest)
Dash of Vanilla (about 1 tsp)
1 c fresh blueberries, tossed in flour
Glaze
½ cup powder sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
Pinch of lemon zest
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400°
2. In your stand mixer bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. Cut the cold butter into smaller pieces and put on top of the dry ingredients.
4. Using your paddle attachment, mix the butter and dry ingredients together. The butter pieces should be blended into the flour. The recipe says it might take time to do this, my mixture didn’t take much time.
5. Stir in milk, lemon juice and lemon zest until moistened.
6. To add in the blueberries, the recipe suggested patting the dough out on a lightly floured counter and folded the blueberries into the dough. I tossed the blueberries in flour and followed the directions, being careful not to squish to avoid the blueberries bleeding too much.
7. Form the dough into an one inch thick rectangle. Cut down the middle, dividing the dough into two rough squares. Then, cut diagonally for a crisscross with both of those squares. This will give you 8 pieces. I made mini scones and two regular size scones.

8. Place one-two inches apart onto a cookie sheet on a baking sheet.
9. Bake for about 17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool scones on a cooling rack.
GLAZE: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle over cooled scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment