June 6, 2015

Strawberry Glazed Baked Doughnuts


I wanted to do a little baking tonight. I am feeling restless about the upcoming weeks of Summer Break. I have so much I want to do in between all the professional development I'm currently enrolled in, but don't know where to start.

I have a thing for doughnuts, just like most people. I love all kinds of doughnuts. What I don't love are the pounds I gain after eating one or two (or three). I started baking doughnuts, a little bit healthier than frying. I found this recipe tonight on fifteenspatulas and just happened to have fresh strawberries.

Ingredients
1/2 c flour
6 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c canola oil
1/4 cup milk (I used low fat milk)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries, to end up with 1/4 cup puree
1 ½ c powdered sugar
Cooking spray for greasing the doughnut pan

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 6-well donut pan with butter or oil.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk to combine the canola oil, milk, egg, vinegar, and vanilla extract. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until the two are combined. The batter might be lumpy, do not overstir.
4. Evenly divide the batter into the six doughnut wells. Bake for 13 minutes. You can check to see if the doughnuts are ready by inserting a toothpick into one of the doughnuts and it comes out cleanly.
5. Let the donuts cool while you prepare the strawberry glaze.
6. Puree the fresh strawberries in a food processor or blender until smooth. Pour this into a low bowl and whisk in the powdered sugar. Dip the cooled doughnuts into the strawberry glaze. 

**I did notice the doughnuts absorbed the glaze, so I went back and watched the instruction video. The glaze is supposed to do so...Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment