July 31, 2015

Middle School: Bulletin Boards

Last week when I turned in my Travel Reports, I went upstairs to peek in my new classroom, hoping it was bright with large white boards. It isn't. Instead, it's dark and I have a tiny white board with two large chalkboards. I'm crossing my fingers that the projector and computer station work, but that's a different post. Creating a safe, comfortable environment for my students is a top priority!

I took a much needed break from packing to get some ideas for bulletin boards. I want boards that cultivate an open, caring environment. I found a couple ideas that I will use in my classroom as bulletin boards on the wall and in display areas (scroll down to #5).  

1. Random Acts of Kindness 
(adapted from reallygoodstuff.com)

I like the idea of giving students a place to write positive comments about each other. The bulletin board is a great place at the beginning of the year to create a comfortable environment. 



Materials:
paper 
border
cutout bird shapes
pen or pencil
manila folder
stapler
shoebox (for completed bird cut outs)
velcro



Directions: Place paper over the bulletin board and staple border around board. Staple a manila folder in a bottom corner to hold bird cut outs (label the folder). You can velcro a pen or pencil to the side of the bulletin board for the kids to use, if you think the students are mature enough not to write on the bulletin board. The students write on the bird cut outs kind things their classmates do. I would also post expectations for the comments. I would also have a box students can turn in completed bird cut out. 

 2. Stay Focused on Behavior Management
(adapted from reallygoodstuff.com)

This is a great idea for classes to compete for courtyard lunch or lunch and a movie in the classroom.




Materials:
paper
border
large white poster board (1 for each class)
velcro
circle stickers
stapler





Directions: Place paper over the bulletin board and staple border around board. Make 1 pair of glasses for each class and laminate. Glue or tape the velcro on the board and the back of each pair of glasses. During classes, pass out stickers for great behavior. At the end of each class, students can put the stickers on the glasses. The class with the most stickers at the end of the month gets some kind of treat. My students love lunch in the courtyard. Another idea for a treat is lunch in the classroom with a movie.

3. Wall of Happiness
(adapted from buzzfeed.com)

This is an idea perfect for a display area (scroll down to #5)!


Materials:
index cards
markers
tape

Follow the directions to make a display area, from link. Give students blank index cards and markers. Ask students: "What makes you happy?" Display responses on bulletin board.


**Make sure to review expectations for comments (nothing vulgar, drug related, violent, 
etc.)


4. "Shoot for the Moon" Quote
(mpmideas.com)

Another great idea for a display area (scroll down to #5). For directions, click here











5. Cosmic Resolutions
(adapted from educationworld.com)



Materials:
paper
border
silver stars
markers
stapler






I like this bulletin board for two reasons: 1. the students practice writing poetry 2. the students state their goals for the new year. The bulletin board came with a lesson, however I think it's great as poetry practice. You post a short poem on the bulletin board about resolutions. Pass out silver stars to students. Ask students to record their most important New Year's Resolution on the stars. Once students complete their poem, display on bulletin board. 

6. Great First Lines in Literature
(adapted from buzzfeed.com)

My favorite bulletin board idea is last. I really like this board because it's interactive. 



Materials:
paper
border
cards
glue
pen or computer
stapler






Directions: Place paper over the bulletin board and staple border around board. Type or write quote on paper and glue/tape on card. Glue/tape card with quote on front flap onto the bulletin board. Inside the card type or write the novel and author. The creator of this bulletin board chose to add a graphic. I think it's great with or without the graphic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment