September 27, 2015

Goodwill Wooden Stool


I move around a lot in the classroom. The only time I have any time to sit is before and after school. Since we are focusing on conferencing with students while in small groups, I was having to squat down to desk level to talk to the kids. I'd been looking for a stool awhile, but I didn't want to spend $20 on a cheap one. 

A couple of weeks ago, I stopped by Goodwill just to look because everything in the store was 50% off.  I found a wood (real wood) stool for $7! It looked bad, at least to me, but it's the perfect size. 

My idea at first was to stain and paint a lace pattern on the top while painting the bottom black. I stained the top and it looked great. Then I painted the lace pattern on top. I know now that I should've used spray paint while using lace as a pattern. I ended up painting the whole stool solid black. I didn't like it much. Then I had the idea to stencil the top with metallic paint. Turns out I only had silver and bronze, so bronze it was. I chose an owl pattern because I gave an example of a metaphor using an owl in class last week and thought it would be cool to have an owl stool. Owls are wise...

Once the stenciled owls were dry, I applied a coat of poly. It'll make a perfect addition to my classroom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment